Thursday, February 16, 2012

Phantom Tollbooth Book Jacket

For my word and image class last semester we had to design a book jacket that we thought was outdated. While I do love the illustrations done for The Phantom Tollbooth by Jules Feiffer it hadn't been re-illustrated since the 60's. They did a new cover in the 70's when the movie came out, but it was one of those cheesy covers with the actors on it, a marketing ploy to promote the film.

Still, Norton Juster's story of Milo and Tock's travels through the Kingdom of Wisdom was always a childhood favorite. I must accredit children's books for much of my creativity today. Writers like Norton Juster, Roald Dahl and E.B. White taught me to embrace the weird, to love imagination even though it often isolated me as the "strange kid" and to never accept boredom.

I hope I did the book justice...
jacket on the book

full layout of entire book jacket

original illustrated cover done in 1961 by Jules Feiffer